Wednesday 13 June 2012

Day 1 - Corfu Town

I arrived at Corfu airport (ok, not exactly Albania yet!) at 11am. I had already booked two nights at the Hotel Atlantis back in England, (online at a cost of 90 Euros). It was a lot higher than my normal budget, but the cheapest I could find in Corfu Town. I had a map with me & walked the 3 to 4 km to the hotel without any problems, (it is located near the New Port). I was really impressed with my room, it had air-conditioning, a TV & a built in fridge in the wardrobe! It also had a balcony which had great views overlooking the port, but I suppose at 45 Euros a night so it should!



 Views of the New Port from my hotel window (Hotel Atlantis)



After a nice cold shower I decided to walk towards the Old Town & find something to eat. There are plenty of restaurants around, all with waiters trying to grab your attention! I settled for one & ordered lamb chops which came with chips & nothing else, I was grateful I had four large chops delivered! I washed them down with a large local draught beer. At 17 Euros it wasn't exactly a bargain, roll on Albania!



Old Town - Corfu Town


I walked around the town a little more, but I was really quite tired & the heat was very intense so I headed back towards my hotel. Near to my hotel I visited 'Ionian Tours' so I could book my ferry to Albania on Friday morning. It turned out there were no more ferries to Albania for some reason? & so I had to book the hydrofoil at a cost of 19 Euros (one way). The girl in the shop was very helpful & her English was very good. I left 'Ionian Tours' & continued to walk further along the road towards the main gates (where the hydrofoil would leave) & sat for a while overlooking the sea & watched the vehicles board the ferries for a while.



The New Port


Boats at the New Port



I returned to my hotel, & soon realised the WiFi  is a bit flaky! You connect to an unsecured network (they have a router on each floor), & you then authenticate within a portal with a username & password provided by the reception, but it logs you out after a few minutes & you then can't seem to re-authenticate! Very frustrating early night I think!


No comments:

Post a Comment