Thursday 14 June 2012

Day 2 - Corfu Town

I was up early & left my hotel at 8am & headed towards the New Venetian Fortress but somehow I ended up at the local prison! I managed to stumble across a fish & veg market which was interesting to walk through & so I decided to rest for a while & ordered a Greek coffee which only cost me 1 Euro (which is much better value than the tourist areas!)

I then continued to walk along the coast eastwards (past the Esplanade) & where the large windmill is located & headed out onto the pier where a few locals where having a dip in the sea. Here I turned around & walked back into town & bought a mixture of cakes & biscuits from a local bakery for a little over 1 Euro! (I also found a supermarket that was selling 1.5 litres of water for the princely sum of 37 cents, what a bargain!)



Local man painting his boat


The tower of Agios Spiridonas Church



I then approached the Old Fort & paid the 4 Euros to enter. I walked to the top which was a very quick little hike which had great views overlooking Corfu town. Afterwards I walked to the Old Town again whilst visiting some of the shops & taking a few photographs of the very old buildings. By now it was lunch time & the place was soon filling up with plenty of tourists. To avoid the crowds I headed back towards my hotel & nearby there are some coffee bars where I stopped for a coffee & a feta pasty which was very nice (good value). I made use of the free WiFi (my blackberry) & read a book for a couple of hours to avoid the mid day sun.



 Views from the Old Fortress


 St. George’s Church, built by the British - Old Fortress


 Views of the Old Fortress


Views of the Old Fortress


The Old Town


Greek coffee & a feta pasty!


I later returned to my hotel for a little rest before heading back out again past 'Ionian Tours' where I found a restaurant & had moussaka & a local draught beer called Mythos.



A nice cool drink of Mythos!



I am really looking forward to my sea crossing to Albania in the morning!





No comments:

Post a Comment