Thursday 21 June 2012

Day 9 - Korça to Pogradeci

I left my hotel at 6:15am hoping to catch a bus to Pogradeci (along Kico Greco Rd). I wasn't walking very long before I was soon bombarded with mini bus drivers shouting 'Tirana Tirana'! I found a nearby café & sat down for a while & had a coffee. I paid the coffee shop owner with a 500 lek note as I wanted some change for the minibus, however he then proceeded to give me back two very dilapidated 200 lek notes! I continued to walk along Kico Greco Rd again where the minibuses were parked & before too long I was approached by a driver asking where I wanted to go. I jumped on board the minibus & joined the other passengers. After a few minutes of waiting we set off, although it was clear we were only driving around the block to look for some more passengers! (I am used to this now!) Once we were back where we started, we picked up another passenger & then we finally left for good! It took less than an hour to arrive in Pogradeci, I handed the driver one of my rubbish 200 lek notes, no questions were asked & no change was given!

After jumping off the minibus, I decided to walk down by the lake & watch some of the local fishermen at work for a while. I then set about trying to find the hotel called 'TEA' (as mentioned in my guide book). But after approximately forty minutes of walking around in circles, I gave up & settled for Hotel Enkelana (2000 lek), which had great Wi Fi & a very smart room including breakfast.



Lake Ohrid in Pogradeci


After settling in my hotel I headed off to find something to eat & decided to try the restaurant called 'Tradaita' (near my hotel on Fan Noli Rd). I was shown a menu in English & liked the look of 'Barbecue Lake Trout' (500 lek). The lady owner then produced the equivalent menu in Albanian which seemed to help her with understanding what I was pointing at on the English menu (they were all numbered). After about a twenty minute wait, she returned & asked me to point to what I wanted again! Finally after another twenty minutes I had a plate of liver delivered! I was a little confused & it clearly looked as if the two menus did not match one another. The lady owner seemed more than happy to start all over again which was nice. (Liver would have been fine, but I really fancied trout!)

After my fish breakfast I decided to walk along the Lake heading in the direction of the train station, (hoping it was up & running, although I was sure I would be disappointed). I knew it was quite far but thought I would enjoy the sights along the way. It was very amusing seeing the locals selling fish along the side of the road. They stand next to their tanks full of fish whilst dangling an eel in one hand and a fish in another to any passing traffic! I dropped a couple of coins into one of the tanks & asked if I could take a photograph!



Lake Ohrid in Pogradeci (Straddles the mountainous border between south-western Macedonia and eastern Albania. It is one of Europe's deepest and oldest lakes.)


A young local selling his catch along Lake Ohrid



During my hike I spotted giant haystacks in the fields which looked very picturesque with the cows grazing. I also spotted a campsite along the way which would have made a great place to stay for a few days. Eventually I arrived at the train station which clearly had not been used for some time! I grabbed a couple of cold drinks from one of the nearby shops & decided to head back to Pogradeci.



Lake Ohrid in Pogradeci


Lake Ohrid in Pogradeci


Pogradeci Train Station (no longer!)


A bunker along Lake Ohrid in Pogradeci


A bunker along Lake Ohrid in Pogradeci


Cleaning carpets on the jetty of Lake Ohrid in Pogradeci


Lake Ohrid in Pogradeci


I continued to walk alongside the lake & past my hotel but soon realised the beach was becoming very crowded. I then decided to head inland & visit a take away place opposite my hotel, I had a 'Pite me Oofte' (pita bread with some kind of meat), It was actually quite disgusting! I later sat down & had a beer along the centre of Fan Noli Rd whilst chilling out & reading my book. I later tried another fast food place & this time it was ok (Gjiro).



The Orthodox Cathedral in Pogradeci


In the evening I left my hotel (the front entrance, facing the lake) & headed for the restaurant called 'Pista Enkelana' (part of my hotel I assume!) I ordered 'Role pule me kajma' (a large rubber sausage!) & 'Salce pikante' (sour cream & peppers). The food wasn't great & the beer was a little expensive, however there was a live band playing all night & Portugal v Czech Republic on a big screen! Later some of the locals began to dance in front of the big screen which was very entertaining at first & then became a little annoying as most of us were trying to watch the match!

Up early in the morning again for a bus to Elbasani hopefully!



No comments:

Post a Comment