Saturday 30 June 2012

Day 18 - The Valbona Valley

I decided to sleep in this morning before heading downstairs for my breakfast at 8am. The kitchen was empty, but there was plenty of food left on the table including bread, jam, cheese, sausages & fried eggs. I soon devoured most of what was on the table & took a couple of boiled eggs with me! After brushing my teeth & heading back downstairs I spotted the mother of the household in the kitchen, so I went in to say hello. She offered me a cup of tea which I accepted (first drink of tea since arriving in Albania!). She also asked if I wanted a 'picnic' which I knew was the term used for a packed lunch when heading off hiking. I accepted & she gave me a large loaf of flat bread (which she baked yesterday) & some salad & cheese. It was left to me to make up my own sandwich.

I first decided to visit the nearby restaurant at the hotel 'Rilindja' for a coffee. Whilst having my coffee the man who I'd met yesterday appeared, & we soon got chatting about my plans for the day. We also discussed my plans to hike over to Thethi tomorrow. He did seem keen for me to hire a guide from him, but I said I would think about it.

After my coffee I walked to the nearby lake & sat for a while, still a little tired from the last few days travel. I then walked westwards along the main road (where I'd walked yesterday) & crossed a bridge & began to climb to get some better views of Valbona. Still a little tired I decided to head back to the restaurant at the hotel 'Rilindja' for something to eat (I'd already eaten my picnic!)



Preparing my 'picnic'!


The Valbona Valley


The Valbona Valley


The Valbona Valley


The Valbona Valley


The Valbona Valley


The Valbona Valley


The Valbona Valley


The Valbona Valley



Whilst having my late lunch I spotted the man at the bar who I'd chatted with earlier (& met yesterday). I decided to ask about organising a guide for the morning & asked how much it would be. He told me it would be 50 Euros, which I thought was a bit expensive. However I decided to accept his offer & he told me my guide would be the young guy working behind the bar! I was happy with this as he spoke very good English.

I decided to head back to my guest house for a much needed rest & also to sort my backpack out for tomorrow. I will be leaving for Thethi at 7am.


No comments:

Post a Comment